When Is the Medicare Annual Enrollment Period (AEP)?
Medicare’s Annual Enrollment Period (AEP) runs from October 15th to December 7th each year. During this period, Medicare beneficiaries can add, drop, or change their Medicare health care plans and prescription drug coverage for the following year. Updates made to Medicare health insurance coverage go into effect on January 1st of the following year.
During AEP, Medicare beneficiaries can:
- Change from Original Medicare to a Medicare Advantage Plan.
- Change from a Medicare Advantage Plan back to Original Medicare.
- Switch from one Medicare Advantage Plan to another Medicare Advantage Plan.
- Switch from a Medicare Advantage Plan that doesn’t offer drug coverage to a Medicare Advantage Plan that offers drug coverage.
- Switch from a Medicare Advantage Plan that offers drug coverage to a Medicare Advantage Plan that doesn’t offer drug coverage.
- Join a Medicare Prescription Drug Plan.
- Switch from one Medicare drug plan to another Medicare drug plan.
- Drop your Medicare prescription drug coverage completely.
Finding affordable Medicare coverage doesn’t have to be hard! Let our friends at Medicare.org* help you choose a health insurance plan that meets your needs and budget and discover which Medicare option is right for you. Speak with a licensed agent to learn more by dialing 1-844-961-9452 – TTY 711 and visit Medicare.org to see side-by-side comparisons for Medicare Advantage (Part C) and Medicare Prescription Drug (Part D) plans.
*Medicare.org is a non-government resource for information about and access to health insurance plans for Medicare beneficiaries, individuals soon eligible for Medicare and those advising on behalf of Medicare beneficiaries. It is operated by HealthCompare Insurance Services, Inc., a licensed health insurance agency certified to sell Medicare products. HealthCompare and Medicare.org are not endorsed by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS), the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), or any other government agency. If you are looking for the official government website for Medicare, please visit www.medicare.gov.