Life can be busy, unpredictable, and exhausting. With so many responsibilities, it can be difficult to maintain adequate sleep each night, causing drivers to yawn and nod off behind the wheel. Did you know that 1 out of 4 U.S. adults know someone who has fallen asleep while driving? Drowsy driving is very dangerous and can lead to serious accidents that could easily be prevented with adequate sleep and energy levels.
If you feel too fatigued to drive, remember to put safety at the forefront by obtaining adequate rest before getting behind the wheel. Rescheduling plans or appointments is much wiser than driving with sleepy symptoms, such as excessive yawning, trouble keeping your head up or eyes open, or difficulty following directions.
ABC Insurance Agencies understands how hard it can be to maintain 7-9 hours of sleep per night with busy schedules and families to care for, so we’ve prepared several drowsy driving prevention tips to help you stay awake on the road to gear up for Drowsy Driving Prevention Week 2018.
What to Do if You Feel Too Tired to Drive
1. Prevent drowsy driving with 7-9 hours of sleep each night.
2. Have a hands-free conversation with a friend to stay awake while avoiding distractions.
3. Don’t get behind the wheel after 20 hours without sleep.
4. Pull over for a nap in a safe location or stop to sleep overnight at a hotel.
5. If you have a short drive, grab a cup of coffee.
A Few Sleepy Driving Statisticzzz
According to the National Sleep Foundation:
- Adults between ages 18-29 are more likely to drive drowsy than any other age group.
- Rural and high speed highways are where people fall asleep at the wheel the most.
- Men are more likely to drive drowsy than women by 11%.
From the National Safety Council:
- There are roughly 328,000 crashes due to drowsy driving each year.
- You are three times more likely to get in a crash if you are driving drowsy behind the wheel.
- Driving after 20 hours with no sleep is a lot like driving under the influence of alcohol; this is comparable to a blood-alcohol level of 0.08%.
Safeguard yourself and other drivers from avoidable accidents this Drowsy Driving Prevention Week, and stay protected during each adventure with better choices for car insurance from ABC Insurance Agencies. Call 800-708-0123, click, or visit a friendly agent near you today to get a free Louisiana or Texas auto insurance quote.