Fall car care is essential for the prevention of possible winter weather hazards. Even though Texas and Louisiana winters remain fairly mild, those chilly December nights could still damage your car without proper maintenance. October’s Fall Car Care Month is just around the corner, so it’s time to give your car some love to prevent any unnecessary trips to the auto shop.
Follow these car care tips, tricks, and tidbits to squash winter car repairs, and most importantly, save money in the process. Following these tips could keep more money in your wallet for your upcoming holiday shopping! Keep preventative car maintenance on the forefront this fall to keep your car healthy for the rest of the year and beyond.
1. Top off your fluids – It’s important to check your oil, power steering fluid, transmission and brake fluid, coolant, and washer fluid levels regularly. Routinely changing your oil is the basis of preventative car maintenance. Depending on the type of car you have, you should get an oil change between every 7,500 and 15,000 miles. Give any low fluids a top off before cruising into those chilly nights.
2. Inspect your battery – Check your battery for tightness and corrosion. If your battery is loose or corroded, it’s time for a battery replacement to keep on cruising all winter long.
3. Check your brakes – During each oil change, ask to have your brake rotors, linings, and drums checked out, but an entire brake system check should take place once a year. Fall Car Care Month is the perfect time to have this done!
4. Check your tires – Tire pressure and tread need to be checked before the winter months. Cold weather could cause the pressure to drop, while, on the other hand, warmer weather can cause it to rise. If you notice uneven wear, balding, or any bulges, a tire alignment or new tires could be in order. Getting your tires fixed doesn’t have to result in an empty wallet. Did you know that Discount Tire offers flat tire repair for free? Save some cash with free services before heading to the tire shop.
5. Check out your HVAC system – Cold nights call for proper heating and defrosting efficiency. Stay comfortable in your car this winter with proper heat and keep your windshield nice and clear from ice.
6. Make sure all of your lights work properly – Stay safe on the road with working lights. Make sure your headlights, taillights, and interior lights turn on and off properly to avoid any nighttime collisions this winter.
7. Check your exhaust system – Even if you don’t notice a problem from your exhaust system, it is important to have it checked out. Avoid dangerous exhaust leaks this winter by having the system checked out.
8. Start your engine – and let the games begin, but not too fast. Check your engine for a proper balance of fuel economy and power. You want your engine to produce the lowest emission levels as possible.
9. Inspect your windshield wipers – Replace your wimpy wipers with strong ones for proper defrosting and visibility throughout the winter season.
10. Check out The Car Care Guide – For more preventative maintenance tips, keep a copy of this helpful Car Care Guide in your vehicle all year. Print off this handy, easy-to-understand guide to safely get from A to B.
Now that your car is ready to roll into winter, make sure you’re covered with better choices for car insurance from ABC Insurance Agencies, Just call 800-708-0123, click, or visit a friendly agent near you to save money on car insurance, and let ABC do the shopping while you do the saving.