Did you know that Thanksgiving is one of the busiest travel times in America? And, this year is no exception. The American Automobile Association (AAA) is quoting that almost 49 million Americans are expected to travel this Thanksgiving and more than 89 percent are expected to make good old fashioned road trips around the country. With that being said, American Red Cross has come through with some awesome travel safety tips to get you to the Thanksgiving dinner table, safe and sound.
- Buckle up, slow down, don’t drive impaired.
- Be well rested and alert.
- Follow the rules of the road.
- Use caution in work zones.
- Give your full attention to the road. Avoid distractions such as cell phones.
- Observe speed limits – driving too fast or too slow can increase your chance of being in a collision.
- Make frequent stops and rotate drivers during long trips. If you’re too tired to drive, stop and get some rest.
- Don’t follow another vehicle too closely.
- Clean your headlights, taillights, signal lights and windows to help you see, especially at night.
- Turn on your headlights as dusk approaches, or if you are using your windshield wipers due to inclement weather.
- If you have car trouble, pull off the road as far as possible.
Follow these simple tips and enjoy your Thanksgiving with friends and family.