One of the worst times to drive is during the holidays when everyone is last-minute shopping or trying to get to their destinations. More cars on the road, means the potential for more car accidents. Read these tips from ABC Insurance Agencies to learn what can you do to avoid getting caught in the middle of all the chaos.
Wherever the road takes you, don’t start your engines until you are up-to-date with the best coverage for you. Looking for car insurance you can afford? Call 1-800-708-0123 to speak with a licensed agent today or visit our website for a free quote!
The Worst Days to Drive During the Holidays
Drivers are 33% more likely to be involved in a collision with an animal on Black Friday*.
- Be extra cautious at dawn and dusk, the times you’re most likely to encounter a deer.
- If there is no oncoming traffic, turn your high beam headlights on for better visibility (if weather permits).
- Avoid the roads by shopping online on Cyber Monday.
Drivers are 22% more likely to be involved in an accident on Christmas Eve*.
In fact, more accidents occur on Christmas Eve than any other holiday throughout the season!
- If you have to be on the roads, allow for extra travel time so you’re not rushed.
- Check the forecast before you leave in case you need to make a contingency plan for winter weather.
- For last-minute shopping trips, park in a space that’s an appropriate size and that you can pull in and out of easily.
On New Year’s Day, drivers are:
- 69% more likely to be involved in a vandalism/theft related claim.
- 56% more likely to be involved in a glass-related claim.
More comprehensive claims are filed on New Year’s Day than on Thanksgiving, Black Friday, Christmas Eve, Christmas, and New Year’s Eve*.
- If you’re out celebrating, park in a safe, well-lit area and lock your vehicle.
- Take your keys and valuables with you – don’t leave them in your car.
- Don’t drink and drive! Assign a designated driver or call a cab or ride-share service to get you home.
Have a safe and happy holiday season! For more information about safe driving, visit ABCAutoInsurance.com!
*Statistical data based on Direct General Group policyholder loss data for period Nov.-Jan.2013. May not be indicative of current or national results.