Each Fourth of July, Americans across the nation hit the road to vacation, visit family and friends, see fireworks, and take part in other patriotic activities. In 2017, AAA estimated that 37.5 million Americans would drive over Independence Day, an increase of 2.9 percent over the prior year. Sadly, Independence Day is also one of the most dangerous holiday weekends with more fatal car crashes than any other time of year (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety).
We don’t want to rain on your parade, but we do want to make sure you get to your destination safe. Here’s what you can do to protect you and your family over Fourth of July weekend.
- With more police scanning the roads for drunk drivers over Fourth of July weekend, make certain you can show proof of insurance to an officer if you get pulled over, such as during a DUI checkpoint. Also, consider your financial options if you got into a car accident. Would your current coverage protect you? ABC Insurance Agencies can help you check that your coverage is up-to-date, and is the right policy for you.
- Traveling with a pet? Ensure they have plenty of water in case you get stuck in traffic in a hot car.
- Plan to leave earlier or later to avoid traffic times.
- Check your tire pressure for leaks and fill low tires with air.
- Make sure you have a full tank of gas.
- Confirm you can see out the rear window, if you’ve piled on the coolers, tents, and whatnots in the back seat of your vehicle.
- If all else fails, stay off the road or walk if your destination is nearby.
- Most importantly, don’t drink and drive. Find a friend or family member to drive you, or chip in with your fellow party-goers for a ride-sharing service such as Lyft. Just download the app to your smartphone before you go!
Not sure what your plan covers? ABC Insurance Agencies can help you get up to speed before you drive away to celebrate America’s independence! Call 1-800-708-0123 , come in, or go online to discover a better choice for car insurance.